Updating the Theme from version BELOW 2.0
Updated 5 months ago
Do the following steps AFTER update Zephyr to version 2.0: #
- Check if your website works fine right after the update. If it has some major issues and it's the production environment website (so your actual customers already visit it), downgrade to Zephyr 1.6.2, using the corresponding section below.
- If everything works fine, let's continue. Make the full site backup, if you didn't before the update. The following article may be useful.
- Start the migration process via the big red message box, which is appeared in your WP admin dashboard. This process will change all shortcode parameters and values to be compatible with the new options.
- If everything works fine, let's continue. Install and activate Force Regenerate Thumbnails plugin (screenshot), then go to Tools > Force Regenerate Thumbnails and click the button (screenshot). It will regenerate thumbnails of all uploaded images and delete the extra ones.
- Update WPBakery Page Builder (formerly Visual Composer) to the latest version (screenshot).
- If you're using some cache plugins or CDN, then purge all the website cache.
- Check your website once again. Everything apart image sizes should be just fine. If it has some major issues and it's the production environment website, restore the backup and roll back to Zephyr 1.6.2 using the corresponding section below.
When you complete the steps above - make sure that all of your site pages are displayed correctly and working as in the previous Zephyr version. IF NOT please restore your site backup and downgrade Zephyr to the previous version 1.6.2. That means you have some custom modifications, which are not compatible with the new version. In this case read the further instructions.
If you have some custom modifications (using a child theme or Quick CSS) do following: #
- Clone your live site using “duplicator” plugin to your local environment OR to a separate domain or subdomain (example: dev.your-site.com).
- Rename the old theme folder and install Zephyr 2.0 as you do with any other new theme.
- Do all the 5 steps regarding the update to version 2.0 which are described above.
- If you have some CSS modifications which were provided by our Support Team and are not working, please create a ticket with describing the issue. We will help with providing the correct CSS code.
- Analyze every separate modification in your child theme: which theme file overloaded by it and how, compare new and old versions of this file and try to fix it. In that case you can create a private ticket with the issue description, link to the website export and some admin username/password that you could create for us before the export. We'll review all the tickets, and help you with the description of further steps (as our developers better know all the theme changes), at the same time please note: we won't fix the custom modifications manually.
- When you fix all of the customizations as they should work - just migrate your site to a main live version.
If you don’t want to spend your time on fixing customizations for Zephyr 2.0 (or there are no features crucial for you) – you do not have to update. At the same time please note: we won't provide support to old Zephyr versions (1.6.2 and previous) and the 1x versions won't be updated separately. So it's better to migrate, and we'll be glad to help with what we can for you to do it the easiest way!